Dental implants can be used to replace one or more teeth which are missing.
Placing a dental implant is a surgical procedure involving placement of a titanium fixture into the jaw bone. It replaces the natural root and fuses to the bone by osseointegration, which is the establishment of a structural and functional connection between the bone and implant. Then a crown/bridge is screwed onto this titanium fixture, so that what appears in your mouth is a replacement which looks just like your own tooth.
A few visits are required for implants. Initially, a consultation is required to discuss options, review your medical history and arrange for a CT scan to be done to assess your bone. If after reviewing the CT scan, and other relevant information, you decide to go ahead with the implants, we arrange for you to have the implants placed. The osseointegration process takes around 10-12 weeks, then after that we can place the crowns/bridges.
Benefits of dental implants:
• Dental implants and the neighbouring teeth are easy to clean, as they are discrete units which are not attached to the neighbouring natural teeth by abutments (dental bridges) or clasps (dentures)
• They provide strength, aesthetics and functions just like natural teeth. Thus they are comfortable for the mouth.
• They are fixed and not removable and are worthwhile investment.
• For patients who have compromised medical health, implants may sometimes not be suitable
• The body can sometimes reject the implants
For information on dental implants, call us today on 9846 2630 for an appointment so we can discuss your needs and see if dental implants are suitable for you.