Why choose us to replace your Metal Fillings?
- We use rubber dam which seals the amalgam from contacting the soft tissues, high speed suction for removing the amalgam and also have covering for your hair, clothes to minimise mercury vapour absorption.
We use quality materials
- Amalgams can leave a tooth susceptible to fracture as they are rigid and don’t flex with the teeth during chewing movements. New composite resin materials bond to the teeth and flex with the teeth, so are better for long term mechanical reasons.
Book your appointment with our friendly team here
We do what we can to conserve as much natural tooth structure as possible
- During the amalgam filling removal, some natural tooth may be removed, we do our best to reduce the amount of natural tooth structure that is removed, in order to reduce the chance of damage to the nerve and also to reduce the chance of reducing the strength of the tooth.
When a tooth has a cavity, or has lost part of its overall structure, we can restore the tooth using tooth coloured fillings. Previously amalgam was used for filling back teeth, but now composites and porcelain are being used instead. They are strong and have the added benefit of blending in with the natural tooth and being mercury free.
Benefits of tooth coloured fillings
- Composite possesses good strength and resistance against fracturing
- Composites and porcelain are made to look just like your natural teeth
- They do not require much cutting of the natural tooth and they adhere to the tooth very well
Composite resins have been developed to have the equivalent high strength that the older metal fillings had, but with a better bonding system that allows more conservation of your natural teeth, that was not possible with metal fillings. Composite fillings flex to the same degree that your natural teeth flex during chewing motions, which means that the bond between the composite and your teeth lasts longer than the bond between a metal filling and your natural tooth. In fact teeth with metal fillings often have much higher rates of fracture than those restored with composite fillings.
Call us today on 03 9846 2630 if you would like your metal fillings replaced with tooth coloured fillings and or if you would like to find out more about any cavities you have which you would like filled.